Saturday, November 14, 2009

Update

So I am starting to get worried that my medical clearance is too specific, too conditional upon care being available for persons with an IUD. I am worried that the program I was nominated for doesn't meet that criteria and that I am now not actually an obvious candidate for any African programs doing health related work.

So, while I'm thinking about alternatives to these programs, I had some thoughts.

1) I don't want to go anywhere but Africa. If they say I have to go anywhere else, I will consider it, but I don't see myself accepting a different position.
2) I only can wait for an available spot in Africa leaving a couple months after July 2010. I need to be back by the fall of 2012 in order to interview for medical schools in a timely fashion.
3) I am not going to take my IUD out in order to serve right now. It's a painful and expensive process to get it in (and out!) and it's not something I want to repeat later on if I can avoid it. Five years from the time of insertion to when I have it removed is exactly how long I plan on waiting before thinking about children. If I get it out, I'll just have to have one put back in when I return from service because it will still be two years before I want to get pregnant.

Obviously I will have to seriously consider the choice to not go overseas if the IUD is going to prevent me from going to Africa. It's not something that I am totally sure about, but those are my thoughts right now.

Going to Africa has been a huge dream of mine for almost as long as I can remember, but if my body is going to prevent me from going right now I think I can live with that. There will always be chances and opportunities to serve overseas later in my life. Doctors without Borders could even be a better option later on where I could have a more direct impact on those in need. Who knows?

I know that right now I am very anxious to hear from the Placement Office and definitely worried because I haven't!

They say patience is a virtue in this process for a reason!

-Elaina

No comments:

Post a Comment