Thursday, March 25, 2010

On Jungles (or, I'm Back!)

I've been trying to stay away, but I actually think that was doing more harm than good. I just love y'all so much! I've added some artwork and set up a 'tags' section. The revamp of the look has given me some additional motivation...as has catching up on my favorite West African and fellow applicant blogs. I'll probably get on here in a couple days and do my top 5 fears, with a nod to Ashleigh's PC affair.

I've been checking out PC journals again and I actually decided to go on some recon missions to discover when Benin and Mali PCVs had actually received their invitations. My information gathering has lead me to the following conclusions:

--Benin volunteers in 2008 and 2009 were generally invited in the last week of March. I am seeing a few March 28th and 30ths out there. (so that's like 3 days!)

--Benin staging dates appear to be later July, like the 21st in Philly.

--Mali volunteers in 2008 and 2009 seem to be invited a bit later, more like mid April. Dates were less tangible. Those Mali volunteers don't seem to be as up on it with the blogosphere. I'm sure that has something to do with being in the desert haha.

--Mali staging dates are actually before the Benin ones, more like July 6th or 7th. Also in Philadelphia.

So it looks like Benin people know earlier and leave later than the Mali folks. Since I am wanting to do several things upon my return in 2012 (get an apartment, get weddinged, start medical school), an earlier departure might be best. But dang, I am really quite in love with Benin. To me, it seems like the epitome of West Africa--jungles and heat with great rain storms and desert in the North. Mali also seems great, but more poverty-stricken perhaps with more...dust. I don't know. Benin gets me closer to that romantic idea of African jungles that I fell in love with when I was 15. I'm sure those ideas will be challenged where ever I end up, and that whether I end up in Mali or Benin, or some unknown country I have yet even considered, the Peace Corps will be a monumental part of my life.

E

4 comments:

  1. If you check out the peacecorpswiki.org staging dates, Benin appears to be early July this year. No Mali invites yet.

    P.S. I'm nominated for health extension, Francophone West Africa in July. Haven't passed medical yet, though.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* Oh Benin... I'm already in love too! lol I haven't even heard anything from placement and when I hear "Benin volunteers got their invites at the end of March." I think, 'Hey that's me!" hahaha Why? I dunno, I willing it to happen!
    I'm glad you're back, I was missing you!! Congrats on the engagement! That is so exciting! You definitely called it :) I'm glad to hear you're back on track with PC also. Your roller coaster of a post made me a little nervous, but I agree that you have the rest of your life to be married. And as PC would say, "Never start sentences with 'I should've...'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love love the top picture, so beautiful! :) Africa here we come! I would also love love to meet you in person during staging! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling too, I'm on pins and needles waiting for any word at all from the Placement Office...even just the generic mass email a lot of people seem to get when their file is starting to be reviewed.

    Fingers crossed for all of us...let's hope maybe end of March/early April will be a good time for July-Francophone Africa--health nominees!

    ReplyDelete