Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just stopped by to say hi

and to let y'all know that I am engaged!! While my boyfriend was here he got down on one knee and proposed! I am so excited; it was a while coming and now that it's official, I couldn't be happier!

So the last couple days have been causing a lot of mental anguish as far as the Peace Corps goes. On one hand, living and working in Africa has been my dream for a lot longer than I've been in my relationship. On the other hand, however, he is one of the best things in my life and it really seems very very stupid to give that up for the unknown even if just for two years. Why should I risk something so wonderful? I guess the answer is that I am risking it for country and adventure, risking it for the opportunity to realize one of my biggest life goals. I am really going back and forth here! Right now, I am still leaning toward PC pretty heavily. He also just left yesterday and I'm always the most unsure about it when we're initially apart. In a few days I'll be gung ho again. I think.

The other reason I would have to chose to stay is that I want to start medical school next year as opposed to waiting two years. That would mean, of course, that I would be applying in just a few months. I would also need to find a job for a year...probably Americorps like I originally had planned. But damn-->AFRICA. I'm just not sure I can give it up. I'm like 90% sure I can't give it up. I want it and have wanted it for too long. The super, engaged LDR thing will be tough, but it's worth it to make sure that I have no regrets. I really belive that. I have the rest of my life to be married and be a doctor. The Peace Corps really is a once in a lifetime event and that time is now. I am accepting it with open arms!

So I'm still officially 'cold turkey' and won't be regularly checking pcjournals or the wiki...but i did notice that south africa was updated. not francophone, but getting close. Who knows? I'll be back in a couple weeks I think. I don't think I'm getting the official invite anytime soon haha.

Elaina

No comments:

Post a Comment