Monday, September 27, 2010

First Day at Work!

September 27th

I am at work right now and I have internet access on the wifi system! But…the internet is very bad right now…and is seriously very slow. I have yet to actually load an entire page and I’ve been trying for almost 5 minutes! It reminds me of the good old dial-up days with the imac at dad’s place in like 8th grade. I loved that computer and spent a lot of time AOL IMing my friends after school. Ah, how technology has progressed.

So I’m a bit hungover on this lovely African morning. I spent the evening yesterday meeting all the other foreign volunteers who live in Djougou. There are a surprisingly large number, actually. One French guy, B, and three Germans (the guy, F, and two girls, S and L). We all hung out with Doug at this nice-ish buvette for like 5 hours. I didn’t actually drink that much, but was dehydrated already and went to bed thirsty…which means hangover in the matin. Ugh…

So I’m at work, but I’m not actually doing anything. I’m not really sure what the plan is, honestly. I assume that at some point in the near future I will begin doing some sort of health related volunteer work…but allah only knows when that’s gonna be. Maybe tomorrow.

The other day when I was at the cyber, I loaded like 50 pages of chat rooms from the Student Doctor Network and than closed my computer and took home the pages to read in my house. I cracked open a Fanta orange (amazing) and fried up some wagasi and had a piece of delicious, soft, white bread (aka candy) and felt for just a little while that I was back in school just doing some quick research on med schools.

Hmmm, I guess there’s not a lot really to report here in Africaland. My house is slowly coming together. I need to get a vrai couch and find a way to get my mirror and paintings up over cement walls…for some reason I don’t think I’m going to be able to put nails in…hmmm. Maybe I’ll have someone send me some of those sticky things with the hooks on them. That would work. Yeah.

Ok, I think next time I write an entry, I will ACTUALLY make sure that it is interesting. I’ll keep track of the plethora of crazy stuff that happens here and write about it in an interesting way. Yeah, I like that.

Ok, until next time, mes amies

Elaina

No comments:

Post a Comment