Monday, December 6, 2010

Kate update

So all of us received an email from our country director and he informed us of his sadness about ''all the rumors'' going around about Kate's death and the Peace Corps. From what I've gathered, the email from the RPCVs do not encourage rumors at all, but gave us information for the first time since arriving here. But, I know the administration is hindered in what they can actually tell us and I'm sure they're frustrated by that as well. See how understanding I can be?

Basically, there will not be a 20/20 special in December and according to our CD, it probably won't air until January. But the ABC TV crews were here in Benin for interviews and to get footage of her village in Badjoudé, about 20 kilometers from me to the west and right on the Togo border.

From his email:

''Crimes committed against Peace Corps Volunteers overseas generally fall under the legal jurisdiction of the government of the country in whichthe crime was committed. In this case, the government of Benin is conducting the investigation into this matter. The Peace Corps has no direct role in the criminal investigation into Kate's death, and we have only limited information about the status of that investigation. The investigation is ongoing, and this phase, which is conducted by a judge,will be the foundation for an eventual trial. A trial date cannot be scheduled until the investigation is completed. We have been assured by senior officials in the Government that they are committed to doing everything possible to find out what happened and to bring justice.''

I am trying very hard not to fault the PC/Benin administration with their handling of the entire situation and to a certain extent it really does seem like their hands are tied. Why doesn't the murder of an American citizen concern the legal processes in America? It sort of seems like it should, right? I know that I would like to think that justice will be served America style if something were to happen to me overseas. Does it really not work that way? Is justice completely at the hands of the host country, no matter how sophisticated or inept? Because that is a little bit scary.

Anyway, that is all the news I have for now for the public. I have to be careful not to, ''even inadvertantly'' compromise the investigation.

2 comments:

  1. As the father of a 20 year old who wants to go to SA for the PC, I appreciate your thoughts and information. To answer your question...yes...that's the way it works all over the world. Americans tend to believe the rights and privileges they have at home are somehow transferred with them to what ever country they visit. It doesn't work that way. Whenever an American citizen leaves the boundaries of its own country it leaves behind all the rights, privileges, liberties, freedom and protection so commonly taken for granted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anon! It seems surprising, but I definitely believe it. The Peace Corps does as good a job as it can to keep us safe. I know that I'd come here again in a heartbeat; the lifetime benefits far outweigh the potential risks I think. Good luck!

    Elaina

    ReplyDelete