Thursday, July 7, 2011

whoa

I was just asked to remove blog content. Ironically, it was nothing political, but profanity. I am very upset that anyone would think me unprofessional and apologize to anyone I offended by posting my unedited thoughts. I assure you all that I am nothing but professional in practice in my work here and all frustrations are, of course, handled in appropriate ways.

I highly doubt I will be posting often during the second year of my service. I have been effectively scared off. It's unfortunate; I really did consider my blog to be one of the best ways of fulfilling the third goal. I'll be on every now and again with very generic updates, but i doubt the blog will be as free in the future. I'm also deleting my twitter. I have never considered anything I've posted there to be off putting, but I didn't think anything here was, either. I have too much on the line right now to risk it.

So I hope you've enjoyed the blog! I can't believe it's been a year.

2 comments:

  1. Elaina, I have loved every single word and spirit and soul and photo you have so gallantly shared of your great contribution and gift to the people of Benin and to yourself and your family and friends, as well as to our nation. Please don't allow the prudish people of semi-intolerance and superficiality to censor you, in any way. Your spirit is much to big and strong and beautiful for any person or organization, all caught up in proper appearances supervision, to constrict in any way. I would bet good money that your ability to utter a few well sellected cool profanities is one of the reasons you are still in country serving. How many of the ET's couldn't do a little healthy venting. Just a quick look at some of your priceless photos would make anyone realize how much more beautiful you are in spirit than even your beautiful images reveal. I worked with a wonderful Lutheran pastor at a camp in the redwoods. he wasn't supposed to swear or write "profanity" either. But the use of his chosen words of "fiddlesticks" and "fork this", etc., were more effective than any standard swear words. You can always just write: !#***&###!!!, and we'll know what you mean. I am soooo looking forward to more of your most excellent blogs, as I am very interested in Africa and Benin. One of my best friends from Canada had a volunteer teaching post there. She's French Canadian and reminds me of you---she loved it too. I found your blog because of what she told me of her great experiences in Benin. Thank-You so very much for what you are doing. You will be a very incredible Doctor,---I already know this. Thank You !!! Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jack for your lovely comment! I am very glad that my blog has been inspiring or entertaining for anyone. I think I have just assumed for a long time that no one was really reading anymore, but I'm glad to see that is not the case. Thank you so much and I hope you keep reading once I've left the Peace Corps!

    Take care,

    Elaina

    ReplyDelete