Tuesday, July 20, 2010

zemidjian training

We did zemi training today, which are the motorcycle taxis. We are required to ride them with a helmet and not allowed to drive them. If we are caught doing either we are administratively separated. Zemis, or zems, are the primary way of transportation around the country.

We practiced today and it was amazing! It was so cool! We ride around on the back, holding onto the moto but we're not supposed to touch them, especially as a woman because it can seem like a come on if we're too touchy. We have to greet them in French, tell them where we're going, ask them the price and then haggle for a better one. They try to overcharge the yovos, but we have to explain that we're not tourists and that we know the price. My french is just...adequate at this point; I was placed in novice high and have to get to intermediate high by the end of training.

We got white moto helmets and I can't wait to decorate mine with my rainbow markers.

I'm on the lookout for tissue for my wedding dress and I would really like a cool, subtle African design on the bottom...preferably something rainbow. I saw exactly the length that I want (ankle length) and the flowy design of it on another volunteer, so I'm pretty much set.

Anyway, I am starving and can't think anymore haha.

I'm excited and really nervous to meet my host family tomorrow. I hope they are nice! Porto Novo is about an hour ride from here, so next time I get on here I'll tell you all about them! Yippie!

Au revior pour maintenant.

I also hear that pingo.com or keepcalling.com might be cheaper options than skype for getting in touch with me, so check that out!

God, I want a latte.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment