Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Diet coke and African marathons

So I've been thinking. When I'm in Africa I would like to run another marathon. There is an annual one in Ghana: The Accra International Marathon, but it's in the end of September, so I won't be able to do it this year since theoretically, I'll still be in training and not a fully fledged independent volunteer. The good news is I can plan and train while at post and then hopefully run it the following September in 2011.

The Boston Marathon went wonderfully. I finished in 5:01:55 (official time), but my own personal time was 4:59:42 because I paused my clock to pee. Which I think is totally fair haha. It was inspiring and momentous. I definitely want to run Boston again, but I'd like to be able to train to qualify for it. Right now I'm thinking I'll run the Ghana marathon, then run one in the states to qualify for Boston, and than run Boston again. Maybe I'll do several others in the states before Boston. I think once I qualify for and run Boston again, I won't do any more marathons. My knees can only take so much and I think the oldest and grandest marathon in the world would be good book ends to my running career. Anyway,

I am going to miss diet coke. Yep, vous m'entendez. Diet coke....aka, the ambrosia of the gods. That goes on my list of fears that I have yet to put up and might just do this evening in order to procrastinate on my French essay I am supposed to be writing...
#1: The fear of missing Diet Coke so much that I pass out each day from depression.
I've decided that this anticipated strong yearning is going to be intense enough that during my service I will most likely be ranting about my diet coke deficiency and have thus given it it's very own tag.

Anyway. It's back to waiting it seems for me. It's been over a week since I sent my updated resume and romantic involvement form and I'm really just not feeling the love. There are at least 5 people around facebook, PC journals and PC connect that have been officially invited as health extension folks to Mali leaving July 1. I guess I don't really know how big that program is, but if it was where I was headed I supposed I would have figured I'd get the invite with the rest of the group, you know? So I'm still holding out for Benin since I've heard a lot less from people accepted there. Actually, besides the leave date on the wiki, I haven't heard of any Benin folks. I do know I'm not the only one waiting, but that only eases my frustration minutely. Basically I woke up this morning really ticked that I don't know where I'll be in 3 months. That just doesn't fit well with my personality. I'm the kind of girl who is pretty darn aware of where I'll be in 10 years let alone this summer. So it's irritating. But I'm also passionate about the opportunity and thankful to be given the chance to make a difference, so I wait.

Just keep waiting, just keep waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting. I'm going to be such an expert at it, I should have majored in it!

Look for my upcoming fears post. I need something PC related to do!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment