Tuesday, August 3, 2010

some years of independence

SOME YEARS OF INDEPENDENCE

August 1st, 2010, 12:37pm CST, 18:37 Benin

Today is the 50th anniversary of Benin's independence and it is a big party (grande fete!) all over the country. Many volunteers throughout the country are in Porto Novo, the capital, to celebrate and hang out with fellow Peace Corps folk. It's been really awesome to meet many of the COSing (Close of Service-ing) volunteers before their flights back to the USA. This morning I went to an awesome parade in the town that my host papa works in. He is, apparently, the mayor's primary right hand man, which is pretty darn sweet. Papa seems to be doing pretty well for himself as an elected official and he also has a farm that I got to see today. I finally took pictures!! I will try to put them on facebook, but y'all might just have to wait for my kick ass awesome photos until I figure out the best way to display them and when.

Last night I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting Jess, the volunteer who lived with my host family 2 years ago. She actually has a really amazing blog, Under African Skies, that I've literally been reading since last July 2009 when i first applied to the Peace Corps. She bunked on my floor in her old room after we spent the evening at a buvette (bar) with a bunch of other people from her stage and the one below hers. She is leaving Africa this week for her COS and she never went home to the states during her time here, so she said it was a really strange feeling to be going back. If you've read all my blog and want some more Benin reading, you should head over to hers and catch up on her posts. Under her (and her post mate who was also COSing) expert guidance, we stayed out way past my normal curfew, took zemis at night, rode 2 people on one zemi, and creatively explained to our host dad where we'd be that evening. I felt like a major rebel! But, I think my wild days are behind me...I don't think my French is good enough to fib to him again!

So, seeing all the 2 year volunteers has really re-opened my eyes to what this committment of service really can be. I signed up for a 2 year service, not a maybe-2-years-but-probably-I'll-just-make-it-to-next-summer service. I need to live in the moment and accept my decision, not because I need to force myself through something I hate, but because I should understand the magnitude of this life style that I've chosen and respect myself enough to have the fortitude to fulfull my promises. I know that a certain someone might be a bit disappointed by this realization, but he knew this was important to me even before we even started dating and when I left last month, for all intents and purposes, it was for the entire 2 year service. So he understands and while I feel a little guilty for wavering in my decision the last few weeks and giving some false hope for my early return, I think he respects me more for being true to myself and to my dreams. Besides, what the hell would I do in Topeka, Kansas for a year?

Another good thing about this whole thing is that I can start to think and plan of ways for him (and anyone else who wants to and can afford it!) to come and visit me while I'm here. I know for a fact that I will need to come back myself sometime in the fall of 2011 in order to interview for medical schools, but it would be really cool if he could visit me sometime before then and then maybe once more afterward. I think three conjugal visits will keep me going throughout my time here, n'est pas? So, I'm thinking: CHRISTMASES AND BIRTHDAYS PLEASE DONATE TO HIS BENIN FUND! If we're really lucky, he could come and see me for this Christmas so I wouldn't have to be alone. That's pretty soon, but if we can get the money figured out, I think it would really help me to transition to this life en seul.

Ok, well. I just thought I'd end this with the thought that has been going through my head for the last 48 hours, the thought that propelled me into re-imagining my entire service here. These words were spoken by a true genius, a true prophet of our day, a man whose brilliance for motivation can ne'er be matched and whose words pull me through the tough times to reach that flighty temptress... a complete, successful service:

YOU'RE NOT HARDCORE UNLESS YOU LIVE HARDCORE.

No truer words have e'er been spoke.

E

PS We find out our posts on Friday! Ahhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment